Monday, August 9, 2010

Kanye? Is that you?

So I heard this song about a month ago, listened to it 3 times today (consecutively) and honestly I can say I have no fuckin clue how to feel about it. I mean on the one hand it's Kanye so of course I wanna buy into the hype just because of the special place I have for Yeezy due to his "Still love H.E.R." track and fond memories of Late Registration and Graduation. But honestly I gotta say...what the fuck is this shit? I mean damn Kanye, it's kinda sad that a music video has to redeem a song for me and that's how I feel. Now let me clarify. Kanye's new found weirdness isn't an issue to me at all and honestly I dug 808's so now that that's outta the way I feel like I don't like this track because maybe I'm outgrowing Kanye's flow. I mean I'm just saying in his absence I've adjusted to Blu, Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, and Stalley just to name a few cats and I think coming back to Kanye is like going to church after a great night on the town...something's just missing (probably the weed) but I digress. All metaphors aside I think Kanye needs to step his game up for the other tracks on his album unless I'll be one disappointed guy and while I can appreciate the artistry of the music video I feel like the actual song could've went a lot harder than it did. Like damn Kanye, I think Pac Div roasted you on their track and it's damn near a year old and drastically less produced than your newest shit. (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZ0C_gp4us) I guess what I'm getting at is if Kanye wants to really shake up the industry than he needs to dial back the ego and make music from his life again (you know...the real shit that got him in the game in the first place) and stop trying to be the latest pop sensation in the game. Be as weird as you want but at least give me some shit I can vibe with without feeling superficial/facetious. I'll reserve judgment on the album till it drops. Until then, draw your own conclusions on Kanye's new Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment